Home comfort pie crust recipe
1 ¼ cup flour
2 tsp sugar
½ tsp salt
¼ cup ice water
½ cup cold unsalted butter*
*Uncut if using by hand
*diced into cubes if using food processor
- Add Flour, Sugar and salt into a large bowl and gently whisk until combined.
- If not using a food processor take the cold butter in stick form and cut into thin slices, evenly distributing the butter over the dry ingredients. Using a pastry cutter or two forks press the butter into the flour until the butter is evenly dispersed through the mixture into pea sized pieces. * If using a food processor simply add the cubed cold butter and dry ingredients and pulse 5-7 times*
- Next, Sprinkle ice water over the mixture 1 tablespoon at a time. After each tablespoon is added in, mix gently with a fork. Add water in slowly as you do not want sticky dough. The mixture should look slightly dry and crumbly. To test the dough simply pick up a small amount and make sure it sticks together. Try not to overwork the dough so you don’t get a tough crust.
- Using your hands gently form the dough into two equal sized balls. You can wrap the dough in plastic wrap or you can put the dough in plastic bags to flatten and place into the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to three days. Make sure to squeeze all the air out of your plastic bag or warp your saran wrap tightly.
- Wash, dry and lightly flour a countertop to roll out your dough! Make sure to sprinkle a little dough on your rolling pin as well as the top of the flour. Lightly press your down to flatten and start rolling the dough from the center of the ball outward. Turn the dough slightly after each pass to ensure equal thickness throughout until the dough reaches ¼ inch thick.
- Taking your pie pan, hold it upside down over the dough to ensure the dough is big enough. It should be at least 1 ½ in larger than the pie pan. For a two layer pie crust simply repeat step #5 for the second ball of dough, don’t forget to decorate your top crust with lattice cuts or cookie cutters.
Simply fill with your pie filling of choice and bake per instructions!