Adam's Chicken Veggie Avgolemono Soup
- 1 whole chicken
- 2 bunches of dill
- 2 packs of mushrooms
- 2 zucchini
- 1 bunch of spinach
- Some peppers
- 1 hot pepper (if you want it spicy)
- 6 eggs
- 6 lemons
- Garlic salt
- Cayenne or Cajun spice
- Thoroughly clean the whole chicken and put it into a large pot.
- Fill the pot with water and let it boil. When the fat begins to come to the top, skim it out.
- Chop up your veggies and the dill and place them in the pot. It is okay if it overflows. It is better to fill the pot past the top because the veggies will break down.
- Put the salt, pepper, garlic salt and the cayenne/cajun spice on top of the vegetables in abundance and then fill to the top with water.
- Turn the stove on high until the water starts to boil, and then simmer for about 2 hours until all of the chicken melts off of the bones. As the vegetables start to break down, feel free to refill it so that every bite of soup has a heaping amount of vegetables!
- After the 2 hours is over, shut off the stove and allow the soup to cool for 10 minutes. (Important! Do not skip this step!)
- Beat 6 eggs and 6 squeezed lemons together. Put them in the soup and stir well. If there is not enough room, remove some of the broth. (**Make sure that you allowed the soup to cool for 10 minutes before adding the egg/lemon mixture. If not, the eggs will cook like scrambled eggs and the soup will not turn white.)
FYI, this soup pairs perfectly with our Greek barley crackers!